Friday, August 20, 2010

With a dual-core computer, would Photoshop run faster if I ran evrything else on one core & Phot

I have a dual-core laptop. I mostly work with Photoshop, so I would like it to be as responsive as possible.



I found a feature in Task Manager in Windows which lets you set the affinity of applications: which CPUs they can and can't run on. Would it make Photoshop faster if I set all apps to run on CPU-0 only, and only let Photoshop run on both CPUs? (Photoshop would then have the whole of CPU-1 to use, as well as any idle time on CPU-0). Or would it be better to just set the process priority to 'Above Normal'? If you have experience with a different modern application, this would probably also be relevant in the case of Photoshop.



Cheers,



Henry



With a dual-core computer, would Photoshop run faster if I ran evrything else on one core %26 Photoshop on both?aurora



no



you better let the operating system mange that.



you can set the affinity but you should have applications written properly, and only in special cases.



With a dual-core computer, would Photoshop run faster if I ran evrything else on one core %26 Photoshop on both?download



CS are designed on work on both core, so leave it as is, what you need is more memory if you want faster photoshop, as XP/ista 32bit only address up to 3GB, so if you have the budget, do that and it would work better than tweaking with teh cores.
If i were you (using laptops) i would just set it to normal.



if its still slow, I wont blame the product/model but instead i blame myself for not getting a better computer to work with.
you're better off letting it run on both processors. when running the app on both processors the workload is shared (i.e. the PC multitasks better) you'll get better results. using a single processor the app will hit the CPU *hard*!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment